Make this Holiday Flavorful
Nov 20, 2017 01:33AM ● Published by Family Features
Both first-time and experienced hosts know holiday entertaining is about more than serving one large feast for family and friends. This season, think outside the dinner table and incorporate tasty brunch dishes into your holiday planning to help keep guests satisfied morning, noon and night.
Arm yourself with everything you need for effortless holiday hosting. Whether you’re making a hearty breakfast or a sweet dessert, Smithfield’s online Holiday Hub has entertaining tips and simple recipes for cooking up flavor-filled dishes all season long. With guests coming from out of town or kids returning home from school, hosts can rest assured knowing every meal is covered.
Try adding savory, slow-smoked bacon to a recipe like this Bacon Lattice Breakfast Tart with Spinach and Mushrooms. Or serve guests these Pull-Apart Rosemary Sausage Rolls made with premium pork sausage and flaky biscuits for robust flavor any time of day.
Find more holiday inspiration at Smithfield.com/HolidayHub.
Pull-Apart Rosemary Sausage Rolls
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Servings: 20 biscuits
- 1 pound Smithfield Hometown Original Fresh Sausage Roll
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary leaves, plus sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) refrigerated small biscuits (20 biscuits total)
- Heat oven to 400° F. In bowl, unpackage sausage and lightly mix with rosemary and pepper. Divide into 20 pieces, rolling into little balls; refrigerate until needed.
- In small bowl, whisk egg and water until frothy. Remove biscuits from packaging and carefully dimple centers with thumbs. Insert sausage balls in centers and place biscuits close together on lightly sprayed or greased cookie sheet. Brush exposed biscuit dough with egg wash and top with rosemary sprigs, if desired. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden and sausage is cooked through. Serve warm.
Substitution: Smithfield Hot Fresh Sausage Roll or Sausage Patties can be substituted for Original Fresh Sausage Roll.
Bacon Lattice Breakfast Tart with Spinach and Mushrooms
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 6 slices Smithfield thick-cut bacon, any flavor
- 1 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 1 refrigerated prepared pie crust
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 5-6 minutes, or until slightly rendered and beginning to curl. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan and cook mushrooms over high heat 4-5 minutes, or until softened and any moisture in pan has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Add spinach leaves and cook 1 minute, or until just wilted.
- Line 9-inch pie plate with pie crust, working crust up sides with fingers; refrigerate until needed. In bowl, lightly whisk eggs and stir in half and half, Parmesan, salt and pepper; reserve.
- Add mushrooms and spinach to egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour into pie crust and bake 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are begin to set. Increase oven temperature to 400 F. Arrange bacon loosely in woven lattice form on top of pie and return to oven. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until bacon begins to crisp and crust is golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack 10-15 minutes before serving.
Substitutions: Whole milk can be substituted for half and half. Baby kale can be substituted for baby spinach.