Cozy Up to Comfort Foods
Nov 28, 2016 01:31AM ● Published by Family Features
With the days getting shorter and the weather getting colder, the craving for savory comfort foods is almost sure to follow.
Creating a comfort food masterpiece like Roasted Sonoma Chicken with Wild Rice and Carrot Butter is a no-brainer when hunger hits along with chilly winter air. The dish's warm, captivating spices will help you forget about the frosty climate around you.
But to truly keep winter winds at bay, try pairing your tasty meal with a vibrant, fruit-forward wine, such as Kenwood Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir 2014. The wine works well for nearly any occasion, but it's the perfect complement to bring out the flavors of the roasted chicken thanks to its aromas of raspberry and red currant combining with spice notes of nutmeg and vanilla, which lead to a smooth, elegant finish.
Pairing hearty plates with a classic drink is a palate-pleasing way to warm up – and fill up. For more wine pairing tips and recipes, visit KenwoodVineyards.com.
Roasted Sonoma Chicken with Wild Rice and Carrot Butter
Recipe courtesy of chef Ari Weiswasser
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 3 1/3 cups chicken stock
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry spice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomato, chopped finely
- canola oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Brine chicken in 3/4 cup salt, sugar and water. Refrigerate 1 hour; pat dry and store overnight, uncovered, in fridge.
- Add carrot juice to saucepan and reduce to thick consistency on high heat, 10-15 minutes. Whisk vigorously if juice separates. Whisk in butter. Set aside to cool.
- In pot, cover wild rice with chicken stock. Bring to simmer and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt.
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- In frying pan on medium-high heat, sweat onions in olive oil until soft. Add curry spice and toast until aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Add vinegar and salt; stir well. Fold through sun-dried tomatoes.
- Place chicken skin-side up on roasting pan fitted with rack. Brush chicken with canola or olive oil and season with salt. Roast about 25-35 minutes until golden brown; internal temperature should be 165° F. Drizzle with roasting juices; add salt and chopped parsley before plating.
- To plate, add carrot butter to wild rice; scoop 1/2 cup onto each dish. Place chicken skin-side up on top of rice. Dollop with onion, curry and tomato mixture.
Pair each serving with a glass of Kenwood Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir 2014.