Healthy Game Day Party Fare
Jan 26, 2016 01:31AM
● By Family Features
(Family Features) There's no better time to be a football fan, as armchair quarterbacks across the country begin counting down the days until the big game. Fans everywhere are assembling their shopping lists for the last game day parties of the season.
Bryan Snyder, Director of Nutrition for the Denver Broncos, has winning suggestions for feeding the home team at your party on game day.
"It's easy to incorporate healthy and nutritious foods into your game day parties without sacrificing the fun or the flavor," Snyder said. "One easy way is to replace unhealthy snacks, such as potato chips or cheese crackers, with healthy nuts. Pistachios are one of the best recommendations I can make because they’re packed with nutrients, have six grams of protein per serving and contain the least fat of any nut."
Pistachios contain important nutrients, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, which can contribute to a lower risk of heart disease. According to recent studies, pistachios also help with weight management and may prevent hypertension and low blood pressure. In addition, people who eat a handful of nuts, such as pistachios, each day have a 20 percent lower death rate, according to research published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
"Pistachios on their own are a great replacement for fatty potato chips because they still give you that salty crunch that people crave," Snyder said. "We're all concerned about heart health and living a healthy, active lifestyle. Even when it's time for a party, it’s still important to make smart nutrition choices and pistachios are just one healthy and delicious swap you can use to support these goals."
Roasted pistachios straight from the store will satisfy and nourish, but for a dazzling game day snack, try this tasty pistachio recipe from Chef Robert Del Grande of Houston, Texas.
For more information go to americanpistachios.org.
Pistachios Roasted with Smoked Chile Tequila and Limes
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large chipotle chilies (approximately 3 ounces) canned in adobo
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotle chilies)
- 6 tablespoons silver tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds pistachio nuts, in shell
- lime wedges
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In blender, combine lime juice, sugar, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, tequila and salt. Puree until smooth. Place pistachio nuts in mixing bowl.
- Add sauce and toss or stir until sauce is fully incorporated into nuts.
- Transfer nuts to sheet pan. Toast nuts 5-10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- To serve, place pistachio nuts in serving bowl. Sprinkle nuts with salt and garnish with lime wedges.